1. Fahombo is a mixture of sport and ritual belongs to Nias people in North Sumatra, Indonesia.
2. Fahombo is believed to exist since Megalithic era. In the past sport was part of the ritual and not as a leisure entity.
3. At first, this sport was designated for men who will become a warrior since at those time war is likely to happen between each tribe.
4. To be a good warrior they needed to jump over a rock with pyramid shape without touching it. This rock has 2 meters height and 40 centimeters thickness. Why is jump necessary? Well in the old times the warriors will jump to the enemy’s fortress and attack them to gain victory.
5. If they can jump and land perfectly, they will be entitled as samu’iba mbanua or la’imba hor.
6. For this purpose, the Nias men have practiced since they are seven years old. They used to jump using a rope which height will increase time after time.
7. Nowadays you still can see this traditional sport being practiced as a part of their maturity rituals especially when they want to get married since it’s considered prestigious.